6-15 October 2017 | Lilaste, Latvia
This Training Course is for 23 participants from Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Spain.
Creative writing is a powerful tool of expression and connection. And it contributes to personal and professional growth of the writer as well. With project ‘Writing is Rewriting’ we aim to increase competencies of youth workers, social workers and all kinds of educators – main target group of this training course – to apply techniques and elements of creative writing at their daily work with young people from different backgrounds. Considering the current social and political situation in the Europe, growing nationalism and violence that is based on radical beliefs special focus during the course will be putted on potential of creative writing to foster intercultural learning and combat radicalisation of young people.
The main activity of this project is 8-days training course which will take place in the surroundings of Riga in Latvia and gather 23 participants from organisations based in Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Spain, Italy, Turkey and Romania. Following learning objectives have been set:
– To foster participants’ competence to use creative writing as a tool of intercultural learning, combating hate speech and radicalisation at their work with various groups of young people, including young people with fewer opportunities;
– To increase abilities of the participants to use methods, techniques and tools of creative writing at their daily work in order to support personal and professional development of their own and their target groups;
– To support sharing lessons learned across participants’ countries and support exchanging good working practices in the field of creative writing at youth work and non-formal learning;
– To explore ideas how creative writing might be combined with other learning approaches such as adventure education, somatic learning and digital technologies in order to create innovative and efficient learning programs;
– To enhance participants’ competences according to the ETS Competence Model for Youth Workers with special focus on facilitating individual and group learning in an enriching environment, communicating meaningfully with others, intercultural competence, networking and advocating.
The training course will be based on non-formal learning principles. During the training course the participants will take part in discussions, team and individual tasks, simulation games, interactive presentations, problem solving and creative challenges. However for most of the training time the participants will explore various creative writing exercises and techniques. A lot of stories will be written, rewritten and told thorough the program. The training course includes also regular reflection and evaluation activities in order to support participants’ individual learning process and enable them to transfer methods presented during the training course to the work with their own target groups.
We expect that main impact of the project will be in development of the competencies of the directly involved participants and capacities of participating organisations to use creative writing as an innovative tool for learning, communication, developing alternative, socially responsible narratives, relationship and dialogue building in their work with young people. Participants will gain new knowledge, motivation and support needed to work the field of intercultural learning and prevent hate speech and radicalisation of young people in their surroundings.
Costs for accommodation, food and activities during the training course will be covered from the project budget. There is no participation fee.
Travel and travel insurance costs will be covered in amount up to 20 EUR for participants travelling from Latvia, 80 EUR for those travelling from Lithuania, 360 EUR participants travelling from Spain and 275 EUR to participants travelling from other countries involved in this project.
Application deadline (24h CET): 20 August 2017.
Date of selection: 25 August 2017.