Deadline: 1 April 2018
Open to: undergraduate, master and PhD degree
Scholarship: for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month; for PhD students – 670 EUR per month
Latvian Government is now accepting applications for ‘Study Scholarships’ to pursue undergraduate, master and PhD degree. These scholarships are available to international students for the academic year 2018-2019.
Scholarships are offered to foreign students, researchers and teaching staff who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies for studies, research and participation in summer schools.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- Citizens from countries that have signed an Agreement* on co-operation in education and science: Azerbaijan, Italy, Tajikistan, Belgium (Federation Wallonia – Brussels), Kazakhstan, The People`s Republic of China, Bulgaria, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Croatia, Mexico, Turkmenistan, Cyprus, Moldova, Ukraine, Finland, Mongolia, Uzbekistan, France, Peru, Georgia, South Korea, Israel and Spain
Citizens from countries that offer scholarships for Latvian students, researchers and teaching staff without formal agreements on co-operation in education and science: Austria, Germany, Indonesia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Greece, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, Lithuania, Switzerland, Estonia, Iceland, Norway, The United States of America
- Entrance Requirements: Criteria is:
- Citizens from countries that have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. To see countries, citizens of which are eligible to apply for the scholarships.
- Language of instruction at Latvian higher education institutions is mainly Latvian, however there are a few study programmes offered in English (please, visit the website www.studyinlatvia.lv for more information).
- Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home higher education institution or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2018).
- Scholarships for bachelor`s and master`s studies are granted for one academic year –a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months).
- Scholarship for master`s studies in the study programmes of Latvian philology, Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic years, i.e. for the duration of master`s study programme.
- If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one more year, she/he has to re-apply for the Latvian scholarship. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded not more than for two consecutive terms to one individual.
- The academic year in Latvia lasts from 1st September to 30th June.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- For bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
- For PhD students – 670 EUR per month
Introduction – An applicant has to register in the system and make a profile with a unique login and password. On-line application form is here. After that an application form can be filled in on-line and necessary documents can be attached there as well.
The system will require following documents to be uploaded:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). Please use the Europass template: europass.cedefop.europa.eu
- Letter of motivation (including activities outside studies related to the study field in Latvia or in the home country, e. g. work in professional organisations, participation in scientific conferences, international projects)
- Photocopies of diplomas of higher education and supplements or a transcript of records of the last two study semesters (if studies are not completed)
- Copies of two letters of recommendation from academic staff members, signed within the last six months
- A copy of a letter of the relevant Latvian higher education institution, confirming the foreigner’s opportunity to study in the chosen study programme and informing about the language of instruction (Latvian or other EU official language). Please send to the contact person of the Latvian HEI your CV and diploma supplement (or transcript of records of the last two semesters if studies are not completed jet).
- Study plan for duration of the scholarship.
- A copy of a certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies
- Copy of an ID (identification document) or a passport.
- All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English.
- Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If applicants are nominated by a competent authority of their countries – Ministry of Education, Agency for Education etc. –, they have to contact the authority and send application documents to the authority as well, if required.
In order to apply, register HERE.